Using two headsets on one laptop or PC – might seem impossible – if we just think about it, right!
Well, nothing is impossible and technology is a blessing. We are turning all impossible into possible rapidly, with the passage of time. Moreover, with a lot of big things we overcame, these small yet important things are no exception. You can now easily use two headsets at one laptop at the same time with the help of some features.
By default, our Windows can play the audio on one device and it is a normal thing for a laptop user because it is meant to be used by one person at a time, however, if you have a situation and you need to use two headsets at the same time, it is not that difficult nowadays. We will explain all possible methods in brief. You can opt for a method suitable for your device.
Methods To Use Two Headsets on a PC
1. USB Splitter Method
You might have heard about this one, as it is very popular when it comes to using two headsets on the same laptop. This is method is the simplest of all and all you need is to purchase a headset splitter. The headset splitters are not expensive and you can purchase them from any electronics store near you or purchase it from Amazon or an online electronic store in your home country. It totally depends on you.
However, when you are purchasing headset splitters you need to check that there are red and green lines on the ports of your splitter. It is highly recommended to purchase a 4 pole audio splitter.
A 4 pole audio splitter can send and receive information for Mic and audio, whereas, the normal splitter will only be able to send audio information. It is totally up to you and if you want to buy a normal splitter that will work as well.
What you will need is two sets of audio splitters, two headphones, and one PC or laptop. Now follow these steps to connect the splitter with headphones on your PC:
- Connect one set of splitters into the mic and the other one into the headset section
- Now, connect both headsets audio cables into them as well as both mics into them
This is the whole process. If you have plugged both of them correctly, it will work fine and you will now be able to use both headsets as well as mics on the same laptop at the same time.
2. Try enabling the Stereo Mix
The stereo mix is already installed on your device and it is disabled by default in settings. In some cases, the stereo mix is not even installed on your device so you need to install it manually. Whichever the case is, you need to simply enable this setting in order to use multiple headsets and the manual installation process if required. Follow these steps to enable this on your device.
- Right-click on the volume or speaker icon on the right side of your screen
- A popup window for sound settings and information will be opened
- Now, you need to click on the recording option and see if you find the option of the stereo mix here
If you are unable to find Stereo Mix:
In case, you are unable to find the stereo mix option it is most probably because windows – very occasionally – hides by default disabled devices, and as your stereo mix is disabled by default, it is a high possibility that it is hidden within your device. Here is what you can do:
- Right-click on any of the spaces available in the same window and you will be able to see two options regarding disabled and disconnected devices.
- You need to select the option with disabled devices and click on it
- Once done, now you will be able to the stereo mix alongside other hidden options
Once you have found the options, you will see that the stereo option is a little fainted or blurred. The next step would be to enable this on your device. In order to enable it on your Computer you need to follow these steps:
- Once found the option, right-click on it and you will be able to see a list of options here
- You need to select the Enable option from the popup window here
- Once you have selected the option, you will now be able to see it clearly and in bold alongside a green mark on it
If you have followed the instructions carefully, you will now be able to see an enabled stereo mix on your device. Now the main process steps kick in:
- Again, right-click on the volume or speaker icon on the right side of your screen
- Once again, a popup window for sound settings and information will be opened
- Now, you need to select the playback devices option and scroll down in order to find the speakers option
- Once you have spotted your option, you need to select the speakers’ option and straightaway right-click on it to proceed, now from the list of options here, you need to choose the ‘select as default (communication device) option
- This speaker or device will be the main source for communication in case if you are playing a game make sure to choose the right headset for communication purposes
- Now, switch the tab and scroll down, in this section, you will be looking for the Stereo mix option
- Now, the device you will be using for hearing as well as communicating should be plugged in the speakers port in the back of your PC
- You can also use speakers for the speakers’ option but in this case, we are using the headset
- Now, once again switch the tab and look for stereo mix, right-click on the option and a list of options to select will appear
- Look for the bold option at the bottom named ‘properties’ and select it
- You will find a tab with the list of options placed on top, look for the option named ‘ listen’ and click on it
- Check the box placed against the option for the device you will need to listen
- Now from the box – with a list of options placed behind it – you need to select the device you will be using
- Once selected, click on the apply option at bottom of this new pop-up window
Now the second option of a device that you will be using to listen will be availed by the second person and that particular person will only be using the second headset but without a communication device option for it.
3. Two Bluetooth headphones for PC
Now, most people are opting for the wireless connection of their headset with their PC and the splitter method will not work for this option. However, you will be required to use specific software for this purpose because windows normally do not have an option to choose two Bluetooth headphones at the same time. Here is another simple yet detailed guide on how to do and what to do it.
- You need to search on Google about Virtual Audio Cable (VAC) software
- Click on the very first and look out for the authentic website
- Now, you need to scroll down and look for the light version of this software because it is free of cost. You can also opt for a paid version if you really need the software and it is not up to the mark on the free version – which is quite rare
- Once found, click on it and it will start downloading the free version of this software for your PC
- Once downloaded, open this file in the folders section
- You can see a folder in this file that you have just downloaded on your device
- Now, you need to extract the files from this zip folder
- To extract this file, you need to right-click on it and choose the option of extract to the same folder – with the same name – for better file structure
- You can now see this file in the same folder where the zip file is present
- Now, open this extracted file and open it, you will now need to look for the setup file here
- Right-click in the setup file and select the ‘RUN as administrator’ option from the list
- Now, allow all the changes this device will make on your device
- Again, on the confirmation window, press Yes
- Accept all of the policies and install them on your device
- Once the installation process is finished, press OK and again scroll from the file and select the x64. Now, open this folder and you will a file named audiorepeater. Drag and drop it on your Windows desktop
- Now, again in the Sound section, make sure that your audio is connected with Line 1
- Now, again come back to the audio repeater, open it two times, and fill both of them according to your headsets
Two headsets is a great discovery for those who always struggled with a single headset on the same device, it is never too late.