Microsoft provides its users with a ton of helpful utilities and background services that can essentially make your experience with the operating system far better and enhance performance. One such utility is known as the Macrium Reflect backup utility that is meant specifically for images and image-based backups.
The reason why this is such an impressive tool is partly since it has been designed to be user-friendly and it can help provide a streamlined performance to your computer overall. That being said, it is still prone to several errors and in today’s article, we will be discussing all the Macrium Reflect Error 9.
What is the Macrium Reflect Error 9?
The error 9 has become a common issue to arise in a lot of computers and seems to spring up especially when users attempt to clone their drive. The notification for error 9 reads, “Clone failed – Error 9.” This is troubling because it hinders your cloning process and doesn’t let you clone your drive.
In many cases, the error 9 in Macrium Reflect can pop up due to several reasons. These reasons can include quite a few common issues. In today’s article we will list out all possible explanations for the cause of the Macrium Reflect Error 9 and then we will also tell you how to solve it!
What can cause the Macrium Reflect Error 9?
- If you have an antivirus on your device, this might be causing a hindrance to this utility’s features.
- If you are dealing with a faulty cable connection that might also be a cause.
- If your storage device has Bad Sectors, you can get this error.
- Finally, the error 9 might also be caused if your disk has a file system error.
Now that we are aware of why it happens, let’s figure out how to stop it!
How to solve the Macrium Reflect Error 9?
- Uninstall Third-party Antivirus Software
One of the most common reasons why you might be seeing the error 9 appear is because your installed antivirus might be blocking its features and thus causing this utility to not function properly. To fix this error, all you have to do is simply disable or uninstall your anti-virus. You can then reboot the system and the problem should be fixed.
- Clean your Disk to fix Macrium reflect error 9
If you tried disabling your anti-virus and it didn’t help, then we recommend that you clean your disc to fix the Macrium error 9. You can run a disk cleanup of the target disk using the following steps below:
- Type and open Diskpart from Search.
- Your next step will be to type in the following commands. Make sure you enter them one after the other to properly execute them!
select disk X (X represents your target drive’s number)
- Restart your computer and in most cases, the issue should be resolved.
- Run CHKDSK Utility
If the last step didn’t quite work out for you, you might want to consider running the CHKDSK utility feature. This will provide a fix for the reflect issue 9 in many cases.
Here are the steps that you will need to follow:
- The first step is to get the command prompt up by typing cmd in the search bar. You will then choose the option that reads, Run as administrator.
- Your next step is to click on Yes but this is only if it asks for permission.
- Next up, you may click on the Command Prompt window, and add in the following command:
chkdsk X: /f /r
Once you have typed it in, click enter and then restart your computer.
- Opt for an Image instead of Cloning
If it is not allowing you to clone, then you can instead opt to create a disk image using Macrium Reflect and this will resolve the issue in most cases. Here are the steps you need to follow:
- First, you will launch the Macrium utility and then let it get a hang of all the different connected drives.
- You can then choose whatever drive that you wish to create an image of.
- Your next step will be to choose the option for Click Image on this disk.
- You can then choose the location to create this image and then click OK and then choose Next.
- Press the option for None as it will request an option for a template.
- Your last step will be to press the Finish button and you are done!
- Make sure your connections are functional
If the error 9 is popping up for you, then we recommend that you also make sure that your drives are connected properly. This refers to checking that the cables between drives are attached properly and therefore not the cause of this error. If you feel like your connecting cable might be too old or simply damaged from excessive use, then you might opt for a replacement.
- Ignore Bad Sectors
This step is certainly one of those methods that you will get to do as you are creating an image. If you attempt to do this and the issue comes on the screen, you can simply choose to ignore the bad sectors and in most cases, you will fix the issue.
Here are the steps you need to follow:
- Launch the Macrium tool.
- You will see an option for Advanced, select it and it should get you to Advanced Backup Options.
- There will be an option to Ignore bad sectors when creating images here. You can check the box next to it.
- Finally, click on ok and you’re done!
- Use a third-party app like EaseUS
If you have exhausted the list on how to solve Macrium error and still don’t have a solution, then we would suggest that you try to make use of a 3rd party software to help you fix it! A good option is EaseUS software and here’s what you need to do:
- Your first step will be to download the EaseUS app using any browser.
- It will then give you’re a step-by-step guide and you can install it using these instructions.
- Launch the app and then you can choose which partition you wish to clone
- After this make sure to choose to save your clone in a destination disk of your choice.
- Finally, you must choose the option to Proceed and that’s all!
Today’s article seeks to provide complete details and knowledge on the Macrium Reflect Error and this is quite a common issue that arises in Windows! However, as today’s article has shown it is not too difficult to get rid of and if you follow these steps completely then you will not have any problems!
With that, we end this guide and informative article in the hopes that we have imparted all there is to tell our readers regarding this topic!