For people who need to focus on several tasks at once, it is often a wise choice to work with multiple displays. An external computer provides you with the flexibility and freedom to work with multiple programs and files all at the same time.
While you are working with an external computer, the laptop screen may still be turned on even in case you don’t need it. But it is sometimes difficult to turn off the screen of a laptop. We came with a few methods to solve this problem.Facing battery 0 available plugged in not charging ? error solve it now.
How to Turn off laptop screen when using an external monitor
Without further ado, let’s discuss how to Turn off laptop screen when using an external monitor
Method 1: Use Keyboard shortcuts to turn off the laptop monitor
This method can be easily done with a few presses here and there. To turn off the laptop screen perform the following steps carefully:
- Firstly, make sure that the external display and the laptop are connected properly
- To display the contents properly, use a suitable connectivity method
- Now, press the Windows and the P key at the same time
- An arrangement on a sidebar will appear along with four distinct display arrangement modes
- from there, press the Second Screen Only if you want to turn off the screen of the laptop and work on the external display
- wait for a few seconds to let the laptop screen turn off and the external display turns on
- The display of the external monitor will lit up and the screen of your laptop will turn off
- You can easily turn off the laptop display and the work on the display of the external monitor
This process of turning off the laptop screen and work on the external monitor/ display can be done in no time.
Method 2: Turn off laptop screen when using an external monitor using the control panel
This method can also be used to turn off the laptop monitor while using an external monitor/display:
- Start with making sure that the external display is connected with the laptop monitor
- after that, right-click on the touchpad of the laptop and click on the option of the Screen Resolution that will appear on the monitor’s display
- now, for the display settings, the Control Panel window will open up on the display
- Click on the Identify button to figure out which display is the external one
- Normally the second one is the external display as one may know as the corresponding numbers on each display will show up on the laptop display
- Now, from the dropdown on the laptop display, click on the Multiple displays option
- You need to click on“Show desktop only on 2” on the laptop monitor
- Finally, you need to confirm the choice for the display of the external monitor only
- Click on the option of “Save changes” to save the changes on the laptop for using an external monitor display.
Turning off Mackbook laptop monitor when using External Display
For people who have a Mackbook laptop, there are also some methods to turn off the screen of the laptop when they use an external display.
Method 1: Clamshell Mode
- To activate Sleep mode on your laptop, you should close down the lid
- using any of the compatible methods, plug the external display in the laptop
- Now, press any key on the display and the external display will light up
Simple is that it can also be done with the method discussed below.
Method 2: System Preferences
- Connect the external display with the Mackbook laptop
- Look for the Apple logo on the top left and click on it
- Then click on the option of System Preferences and then go for selecting displays
- Click on the Arrangement’s tab and select the box “mirror displays,”
- Close the lid of the laptop and connect the keyboard and mouse with the laptop
- The external display will light up by pressing any key from the keyboard
All of the above methods are easier to use and can assist you to successfully turn off the screen of your laptop when you are using an external display. Now, you can easily solve the issue for both Windows 10 and Mackbook laptops.