Windows resource monitor is a very cool utility. It is built into your Windows Operating System, which means that you do not have to install any third-party applications to be able to access it. It is a highly reliable and robust application.
An Overview of Resource Monitor
Resource Monitor, as it is obvious in the name as well, is used to look and overview the system being run on the computer. The resource monitor helps you to analyze and figure out your CPU, memory, hard disk, and network usage. It also breaks it down in detail which program is using what.
If you open any application on your system, it will right away show you, in graphics, how much network traffic this program is using. You can have the means to approach and uninstall or close the window within the resource monitor. In addition, for the hard drive usage as well, you can get information about the usage of RAM. For example, if your system is lagging or being very slow and you have no idea what is the cause of this lagging. You can simply go to the resource monitor and from here to the hard disk section. It will show which application is being the cause.
Start the Resource Monitor:
In order to get your hands on your resource monitor you need to follow these steps:
- On the taskbar option available on your screen, press a right-click. Now, from the menu, you need to select the task manager
- With the help of the start, menu get access to the task manager
- You can also get access to it via the search bar of your computer
- Now, you are in the performance tab right in here and this will show you all the different hardware of your disk on the screen
What Exactly Is the Maximum Frequency in Resource Monitor?
When you are in the Resource Monitor application on your system, if you go to the CPU tab, there is a status box and graph titled “Maximum Frequency” and it is placed right next to the values of CPU Usage. You can see that this value can be written sometimes over and under the value of 100%.
The maximum frequency number in the resource monitor represents a maximum of your processor’s normal speed. We can say that the maximum frequency is the processor’s performance that can be divided by the percentage of the maximum frequency counter in this performance monitor. To put it simply the formula is the processor’s performance \% of the maximum frequency counter.
We can understand by looking at this example here; if you use a 2.5 GHz processor, which runs at 800 MHz, you will have a maximum frequency of 31%. It means that at 2.5 MHz of your processor the maximum frequency at which it is running is 31 %.
Several factors affect the percentage of your process and they could be a possible reason for maximum frequency fluctuation. If you turn on the power saving mode, speed step, and similar applications and features turned on you will a drastic decrease in the percentage of your maximum frequency. On the other hand, if features like turbo boost are enabled and the other features – that decrease maximum frequency is disabled you will see a score of 100% or above all the time.
Prepend the Maximum Frequency Option in Windows
You can easily add the maximum frequency of processor in windows by following these steps:
Command Prompt Method
In this method, with the help of the command prompt, we will try to increase the maximum frequency of the processor.
- The very first thing you need to do is to open the command prompt by pressing Windows + R
- Here, enter cmd and OK
- By pressing CTRL + SHIFT + ENTER a new command prompt will be opened for you. On the UAC Prompt, you need to grant privilege by clicking on the yes option
- Here you need to enter a command and hit Ok. powercfg -attributes SUB_PROCESSOR 75b0ae3f-bce0-45a7-8c89-c9611c25e100 -ATTRIB_HIDE
- To begin with the process again, restart your computer
- Now you need to again open the run command on your computer once again by pressing Windows + R
- Enter the “powercfg.cpl” command here this time
- From the power options menu, click on the change Advanced power settings
- Here you will find the Maximum Processor Frequency option
- Change the settings accordingly and once done you can restart your computer.
This method is useful in increasing or decreasing the maximum frequency values.
The resource monitor is a source to analyze, overview, and changes the settings with simple clicks and it comes very handily when there are unresolvable issues present in your computer’s hardware. The maximum frequency represents the efficiency of your CPU processor and it helps to enhance the efficiency of your device by giving you a clear guidance about it.